Monday, August 31, 2015

Training, Hurricane Prep, False Alarm and a Nine Speaker Sacrament Meeting!

 
First Family Pic!  Me, Elder Thompson (our new son) and Elder Uber
Well week one has officially started for the transfer!! Our week started off pretty good. We went to the transfer meeting Tuesday morning, which was good but super duper long! We had to wake up at 4am to get to Orlando by 7am, which is when the meeting on how to be effective trainers starts. Then around 10am, they brought in the new missionaries and announced who we would be with! After that, the normal transfer meeting took place at 11am. It was really nice to see almost all of my old companions and some of the awesome missionaries I've served around!

So yes, Elder Uber and I have now got our Trainee! His name is Elder Thompson and he hails from Cokeville, Wyoming. It's apparently a little town of about 500 people I guess, so he feels right at home being in a small town... especially one like Sumterville! He's a pretty cool Elder so far! He is truly adjusting quite well, and has already been involved in taking the lead on some of the lessons. I have attached a few "family photos" for your enjoyment:) 

I've heard you learn the most when you train, and so far I do feel like I've learned a lot! I'm sure it's because you have to take responsibility, in example, behavior, teaching, finding and everything really. At least it will be that way for the first little while! I'm happy that I have this great opportunity though, and I hope to see some awesome things come from it!! So far it's been a blast!

We had to speak yesterday in Sacrament meeting, since it was the 5th Sunday. But sadly they scheduled NINE SPEAKERS!!! So we got like 5 minutes each:(.... After I prepared 20 minutes easily!I spoke on the blessings that come through missionary work! It was pretty awesome! On Saturday we had our Branch Social and we basically had like 40 people there eating ice cream, popcorn, and watching the movie God's Not Dead. It's not a church produced movie, but it was a solid Christian movie that had a good meaning. I really did enjoy it! I recommend it.

As you may have heard, we almost had a HURRICANE!!! PHEW.... Luckily Tropical Storm Erika broke up on its way towards Central Florida, so not its just some heavy rain.. We still have a major flood warning, anywhere from 4-10" is what we have heard! But it sounds like there is another one heading this direction again? Fred? We've just heard from members so I'm not fully sure and currently it's somewhere off the coast of Africa. But we will see what happens I guess!? Either way the Branch and Mission were super cautious with making sure we had all our storage for food and water, etc. 

Other than that, nothing much new is happening and I am just enjoying the mission and trying my best!Here is a quote from God's Not Dead.."Some of the most important work we do seems meaningless" I really liked that!
Also here is a great scripture I have found this week that I enjoyed. Alma 37:36-37 Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever. Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.
I've really come to realize that no matter what comes into our lives, it's because God has placed it there for a reason. The afflictions we face, the temptation that befalls us, the joys, events, everything is because on Him. So why would/should we NOT take the time to talk to Him? We should thank Him for everything and ask for His helping hand. He knows what we need. He will help us!

Love and miss you all! Have an amazing week!
-Elder A. Olson 

And another family pic!


2 comments:

  1. Gayle Davies (our sister in law) tagged this post for us. Elder Thompson is our son!!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad they are serving together!!

    ReplyDelete