Monday, November 10, 2014

New Companion, Drive by Shooting, More Baptism Dates and Faith



Missionary life continues to be crazy! I will say being just a regular missionary is nice, training isn't fun. It's strange, when I was training and I would teach, I felt like I was just speaking words. And now that I was taking lead all week because it's my area, I have felt my teaching was so much better!! And I truly focused on the needs of those I taught. I just felt the pressure as a trainee to be perfect. And I didn't feel like I was the most useful missionary, because I knew I wasn't perfect at anything I did.

I got my new companion this week. His names Elder Cotton! He is a wild child which is a good and a bad thing. He's kind of known around the mission for being a crazy outgoing missionary, (and also a disobedient one) I honestly feel like it is a test in my mission, to see how I'm going to handle it. He's NOT that bad though and we get along well and like the same music basically.  He is funny, gets work done and doesn't listen to country music! But I feel like he's going to be a companion that pushes me to see how far I'll go, or how far I'll stretch if that makes sense? But yeah he's actually pretty awesome! And I'm glad we get along and have some fun!!  (can't be too quick to judge:) All I know is it's going to be a crazy 5 more weeks!

We had a pretty successful week! I mean, even with a few days taken out of the week for transfers and such we still got a lot of lessons and contacts. We picked up 2 new investigators. And now have 4 baptismal dates set for November!!! WOOHOO! Trina and Willies baptism is Friday! I'm so excited for them! They've quit smoking and are SO excited to finally be able to be baptized!

Other than transfers, nothing too crazy has been going on over here though. We met a crazy guy that wanted to take us to the "underworld" or something like that. Also there was a drive by shooting yesterday about 5 minutes from our apartment. I guess that's pretty sketchy. The weathers still getting cooler and cooler!! I LOVE it! It's been raining for the last few days. It is still going to be odd not having snow. I thought I would be happy with that. But I miss my Utah snow and mountains!!

We have a big week ahead of us this week, got a lot of big goals to
reach with 20 lessons, 72 contacts and 3 new investigators to get!!! Man this
week is going to be packed! I hope we can do it! I know I've probably talked a lot about this topic in most of my emails, but it's so important to our lives, and it just becomes clearer to me as I continue along! So I wanted to share another little message about Faith.

I had an "Awakening" this week. I had the feeling like my prayers
weren't being answered. I knew in some way they were, but I read and
re-read the First Vision by Joseph Smith. And after having a lesson
and teaching about it, it came to me. I felt like my faith wasn't
sufficient for what I was asking.  I asked, but I didn't quite have the
faith that it would happen. 


Faith is the breaking ground to anything we do. Without faith, nothing
would be. It would be like me giving you a car without a key. Yeah you
have the car, but without the key it's useless and doesn't function.
The same is with Faith. We can pray and ask for anything, but without the
faith we most likely won't recognize it when it's answered.

Just like it says in Ether 12:12 "For if there be no faith among the
children of men God can do no miracle among them; wherefore, he showed
not himself until after their faith." We have to show and express our faith in him, and our faith we will receive.

I'm excited to see how this week goes and also this transfer. I
appreciate all the love and support I receive! You all are the best
and it means so much to me!! I pray for you guys always.
Thank you so much for the prayers directed toward me, this definitely
isn't easy. I struggle at times, but I'm thankful for this opportunity
and all of you! I love and miss you!

-Elder Olson

No comments:

Post a Comment