Monday, November 17, 2014

Music Festival, Success, Crazy People and Baptisms!!


Elder Cotton, Willie, Trina and Me on their Baptism Day!!



Hi There!  This past week was a busy, crazy and hard week! Hard meaning a lot to do and goals to reach!! We actually got some AWESOME work done and hit our goals…..Well...most of them!  DeLand had a famous "Music Festival" with 150 small bands playing all throughout Main Street so that day alone we hit 56 street contacts, at the end of the week we had 93 contacts, 2 new investigators and 25 lessons!!  MAN!!

So a few crazy things, at that music festival, we had a group of drunk girls recognize we were missionaries (one was a former member apparently) and so they waited until we were done talking to this gentleman and asked for a group picture with us HAHAHA! It was quite hilarious! Then we had a guy try and bash us, saying he despises us. He told us to get a King James Bible and READ it. He didn't know what to say when we told him we do and pulled one out. People trying to bash us...man... He wasn't even attending a church! Crazy people!

Elder Cotton and I are doing really well. We teach together AWESOMELY! We have good things in common and have fun doing missionary work. So I'm pretty much having a blast right now!:) The only problem is he is an Elder that not too many people in our district like..so they don't treat us the best haha! Oh well, we're having fun and getting work done! I haven't had to listen to country music ONCE either! WOOHOO!  It's crazy to think that it's also week 3 of this transfer…I might only have 3 left here..

It's also crazy to me to think that Utah is cold and getting SNOW!!! Florida is cooling down a little, in the 60's every once and a while. But everything's still very much green and the Suns still a shining away!:) It's not that bad. If it stayed in the 60's during the summer it would just be perfect! 

Another AMAZING yet crazy thing that happened this week is I actually got to baptize 2 people!! Trina and Willie had their baptism Friday night, and at last minute they asked if I could be the one to baptize them!! YES! It was seriously like one of the coolest things ever. The spirit was so strong and I've never been so nervously excited haha! But everything went smoothly and it all worked out. They had a great time and I'm so proud of them, their decision and how far they have come!!!

Also We set a few more dates with people!!:) We have 4 more lined up by the end of December and maybe 5 after today! I get to confirm our next person being baptized! Stacey has just been waiting MONTHS for her divorce papers to go through so she can be baptized and it worked out! So I'll be confirming her the 30th of this month.  Also Lezs has a date for December 6th. And I might be doing one or the other. It's such a good feeling and makes me happy to see they want and appreciate what WE do and let us be part of that special moment!

I heard a cool quote yesterday and added my own little note into it. Thought I might as well share.

"Light seeks light, Darkness seeks darkness"
Those in light function, work, and strive. Enter into darkness you become comfortable, confused and lost.

I kind of realized that, especially with that guy trying to bash us. He's been dwells in the darkness too long. Just like what was stated in The Restoration, when Joseph Smith saw our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. "Their lips draw near me, but their hearts are far from me."

I just wish this Gospel was available to everyone, to see the change it has made in me, and everyone else in it. The blessings that are received and the happiness it brings.  I guess that's the true purpose of me serving a mission. To make this available to those who truly seek and need it. I'm so thankful and grateful for this opportunity! It's AMAZING!

President told me once "there will be a point in your mission when you don't want to turn back, when you can't imagine being home because you love this, you love serving, you love the people, and you feel closer to your Father in Heaven than ever before" It's definitely sinking in. Yes I miss home, my family and friends. And I love them. But I also love this gospel, the feelings it gives and being a missionary. 

I love you all and appreciate everything. The prayers directed toward me and this work. It means so much to have such an amazing support group like the one I have. I miss you and can't wait to see how the rest of this mission goes! Hard times WILL come. But just roll with the punches, continue praying and you will have the strength to withstand anything!

-Elder Olson

No comments:

Post a Comment