Monday, May 2, 2016

Great Baptism Week!






Hey everyone! I hope you guys had yet another fantastic week!! Ours here in Lake Placid was quite a good week. I mean.. There wasn't anything exciting like racing in a Corvette or anything, but it was still pretty good!

Overall, we had a good week of lessons and service again plus it's also the last week of the transfer:( We were able to go on exchanges and have a great time. I stayed in Lake Placid and Elder Bravo came down here with me and it was a great time! He replaced me in Melbourne, plus he served in DeLand, so we had a good ole time talking about the area and the people in it. And we actually had the opportunity to utilize his Spanish speaking capabilities and go knock some former investigators doors who only speak Spanish. Sadly none were interested, which might also be a good thing cause well...Neither Elder Rowley or myself would be able to teach them! But we were wracked on miles so we ended up walking most of the day and luckily a member came out with us!


We did get to experience a few awesome things this week though. We had a lesson with one of our investigators named Carl. Now Carl can be hot and cold at times, meaning he is interested one visit and the next it's the complete opposite. He was raised in and has always attended another denomination, and he is HUGE into history, and has a overall great knowledge. After meeting with the missionaries for months this week he decided that since he finished the other books he planned to read, he might as well read the Book of Mormon. As we talked about it, and after he expressed how he liked the stories inside and where he was (he read half of the Book of Mormon in a few days) as we walked away from that lesson to our car he said, "Hey boys, thank you for this book. It's truly helped me feel that God truly does care about all of his children. I appreciate the feelings I get and none of this knowledge would be made possible if it wasn't for you bringing it to me."  He expressed a very sincere love for the gospel, the Book of Mormon and how it's helped change him, and a love for Jesus Christ. One of the most humble things I've had thus far on my  mission!


I was also blessed with an amazing answer this week. Lately I've been praying to know how to best help the relationship we have with one of our investigators who is struggling, and we can't quite tell how interested she is. Well... Every Tuesday we do service for a local Food Bank, and on Tuesday morning she called in panic because her job basically fell apart, and she doesn't have resources to help her and her handicapped son. So she asked if we knew a local food pantry. I pointed out it was interesting that she called, because we help do service for them, and that we could help get her set up for that needed help! I believe that truly helped strengthen that trust!


We had our baptism Saturday for Troy and Sidasia!! It went very well! The water heater is now working, so it was warm this time. But anyways, we are excited to see the progression of the girls. They have made a huge change in their lives and we are excited to continue working with them! Overall a great baptism day.


I finished the Book of Mormon again this week, and although I've had the
opportunity to read it multiple times since I've been in FL I felt like I learned and am actually applying more this time than ever before. So I'll share a thought about a few verses that stood out to me this go around. 3 Nephi 17:5-7...."5 And it came to pass that when Jesus had thus spoken, He cast his eyes round about again on the multitude, and beheld they were in tears, and did look steadfastly upon Him as if they would ask Him to tarry a little longer with them. 6 And He said unto them: Behold, my bowels are filled with compassion towards you. 7 Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them, for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy." It's interesting to see that the love of our Savior, and His ultimate and unlimited grace and mercy is sufficient for all. No matter what you face. my favorite part is where it states he is here to heal any manner of affliction. We all face affliction, but our Savior cares for us individually. He knows and has felt our struggles, and knowing that any manner of affliction can be healed through Jesus Christ, we can be healed no matter who we are, what we do, what we look like, or who we were.. I extend to you all, as you come across trials in your life, call out, cry out, and reach out to the love, peace, and mercy your Savior Jesus Christ offers to all! And specifically to you.


Also, if you haven't heard of it already, I suggest you find him. There's a local Utah rapper named "Jamesthemormon" he released a couple of EPs this week and they have made their way to the top of ITunes music.. I haven't listened to them, but I've heard lots about it! Check them out!


I Love you all! Have a great week! Happy (early) Mother's Day to all the women out there who actually read my updates!! Haha! I hope you understand and know of my appreciation and everyone elses.. You all play a very huge and significant role in this life!!:) love y'all!


-Elder A. Olson

No comments:

Post a Comment